OnlineRock Blog

Los Angeles / Silver Lake, California

SXSW Show Times:
Mar 18 2:00P - SXSW NPR Day Party @ The Parish
Mar 18 4:30P - SXSW Fader Fort
Mar 18 11:00P - SXSW Paradigm Showcase @ Emo’s
Mar 19 12:30P - SXSW Pitchfork Day Party @ Emo’s
Mar 19 4:15P - SXSW Filter/KCRW Party @ Cedar St.
Mar 19 9:00P - SXSW Frenchkiss Showcase @ Galaxy Room (backyard)
Mar 20 2:00P - SXSW Urban Outfitters Party
Mar 20 4:00P - SXSW Brooklyn Vegan Day Party

What do like most about playing at SXSW?
I think my favorite experience of SXSW was playing the Central Presbyterian Church last year. Acoustically, the venue was near impeccable, which with us being a vocally-focused band, is a huge plus. I remember it being one of those moments where I felt perfectly placed... To this day, it still stands as one of my favorite shows we've ever played.

Are you out promoting anything?
We're currently on a two month tour of Europe and the UK... I think we're about six weeks in. It's been amazing really, most of these stops have been completely new territory for us and the reception across the board has been great. Our album just released in the US, so we'll be going home soon to trek across the our country and support the release.

Are there any bands or musicians that you are looking forward to checking out?
I've been listening to this band called Bear In Heaven a lot lately and I believe they're playing the festival this year. I'm really hoping that our schedule allows us to catch one of their shows. Also really looking forward to watching Broken Social Scene play the NPR show... I've loved that band for awhile now and never have gotten the chance to see them live.

What are the challenges in playing at SXSW?
It's hectic. There's seemingly hundreds of shows going on at any given moment, and sometimes within the same venue at the same time you're playing... so the sound can be hit or miss.

Do you have any survival tips?
The festival is a great opportunity for unknown bands. We were told on numerous occasions to just go and play as much as humanly possible... so we did. If that's the way you go about it, I can't stress how important it is to rest when possible and pace yourself.

Are you more "stick around, check out music and enjoy the scene" or "play as many shows as possible then get out"?
Whenever given the chance I definitely really enjoy checking out new bands and getting a feel for the scene, but sometimes, like our experience last year, there's so much going on that it's hard to stick around in one place. That's also the only (somewhat) bummer about touring, you never really get to know a city or place because you're in and out of it so quickly.

0 comments: